If you want your videos to make the desired impact, you need to edit them to the best of your capabilities! And for that, you need a powerful device, like the Best Mac for video editing (Apple MacBook Pro).
But that’s not the only option! There is plenty of fish in the sea.
In this article, we have rounded up some of the best Macs for video editing.
Why Choose a Mac for Video Editing?
- Macs have fast processors.
- They have high-resolution screens.
- They encode video files relatively faster than the rest.
- Professional video editors prefer them.
This brings us back to our main topic and the reason you’re probably still reading; which is the best Mac for video editing in 2021?
Let’s find out!
Best Mac for Video Editing 2021
Whether you’re an influencer, a gamer, a DIY expert, or someone who likes to make video content just for fun, here are 6 Macs to help you create awesome videos.
|Mac Pro||28-Core Xeon Processor||❌||32 GB||256 GB|
|iMac 24-Inch||16-core Neural Engine||✅||8 GB||256 GB|
|MacBook Air||16-core Neural Engine||✅||16 GB||256 GB|
|MacBook Pro||8-core Intel Core i9||✅||16 GB||512 GB|
|iMac 27-Inch||10-core Intel Core i9||❌||8 GB||256 GB|
|Mac Mini||16-core Neural Engine||✅||8 GB||256 GB|
|MacBook Pro 13-inch||Integrated 8-core CPU||✅||8 GB||256 GB|
|iMac Pro||8-core Intel Xeon processor||❌||32 GB||1 TB|
1. Mac Pro
If you’re looking for a Mac system that offers the most outstanding performance, expansion, and configuration for video editing, you should go for Mac Pro.
Released at the end of 2019, Mac Pro is considered as one the best Macs available out there because:
- It has an Intel Xeon processor with up to 28 cores
- It has a 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD
- It sports the Radeon Pro 580X graphics card, which is the highest in Macs so far.
But here’s something that might catch your attention!
Unlike other Mac systems, you can actually customize the Mac Pro after you have purchased it.
- You can add new hardware to maximize its performance according to your video editing needs.
So, if video editing is your primary concern, you can upgrade to a 12-core processor with 96GB of RAM.
The only downside to the Mac Pro is that you have to purchase the screen separately. But that’s not all that bad, as you can choose a display according to your budget and specifications.
So, when it comes to the best Mac Pro for video editing, you know which one to get!
2. iMac 24-Inch Retina 4.5K Display
Our next recommendation for the best Mac for video editing is the iMac 24-inch.
Why do we recommend this PC? Because:
- It has an M1 8-core processor
- It has a sharp 4.5k retina display
- The design is ultra-thin
- It has 8GB of RAM and a large 1TB SSD Fusion drive, which can be upgraded if required.
- The AMD Radeon Pro graphics processor with 4-8 GB of video memory is good enough to handle any software.
- The iMac 24-inch comes in 7 vibrant colors, including green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and silver shades.
Therefore, this PC is a must-have if you want a smooth video editing experience. Also, if you’re tired of having the same black or white display, you have the option of choosing from.
Talk about adding color to your life!
3. MacBook Air
While desktop computers are ideal for editing videos on a professional level, a laptop is a good enough option for YouTube content creators or people who create videos for their blogs. In short, if you’re an intermediate-level video editor looking for a cost-effective option, get the MacBook Air!
- It has the M1 chip processor, enabling the 8-core CPU to run 3.5x and the 8-core GPU 5x faster than its previous version.
- Also, it has 16 GB of RAM and a battery life that lasts for up to 18 hours.
However, if your work is mainly related to 4k video editing, then the capabilities of the MacBook Air might lack a bit. In that case, you can go for the MacBook Pro, which is next in our list of the best Mac for video editing.
4. MacBook Pro
If your job revolves around editing videos on the go, you need a powerhouse laptop like the MacBook Pro.
While a MacBook Air, discussed previously, is a good option for light video editing, the MacBook Pro is perfect for graphically intensive tasks, like 4k video editing.
- It has an 8-core Intel Core i9 processor, with a memory that can be upgraded up to 64GB and an SSD of 8 TB max.
- Not only this, but it can power up to 4 external screens with 4096 x 2304 resolution.
It is, however, a bit on the expensive side, but if you’re working with complex tasks and require the best mac for 4k video editing, then MacBook Pro is the way to go.
5. iMac 27-Inch
While everyone’s still on the lookout for a laptop or PC that enables smooth 4k video editing, let us bring your attention to the iMac 27-inch, which offers 8k video editing!
- It has a 27-inch screen with a 5k Retina display, 1 billion colors, and 500 nits of brightness!
- It sports a 10-core Intel Core i9 processor, perfect for handling heavy-duty video editing software.
- To add to its flawless video editing capability is the 32GB RAM and 1 TB SSD, which in my opinion, should have been a bit more.
The downside of the iMac 27-inch is that its design is somewhat old, and it has only 2 thunderbolt ports. But, on the other hand, if you’re looking for a system that can be configured to be quite powerful and has improved software, then the design should not be a deal-breaker.
6. Mac Mini
Macs with the M1 chip are the talk of the town these days! Talking of which, here’s another desktop computer for video editing – Mac Mini.
- This compact Apple device is run by an 8-core CPU and 16-core Neural Engine and has the M1 chip, making the CPU 3x speedier and overall machine learning 15x more faster than others in the same category.
- Also, the graphics performance is boosted 6x as compared to its predecessors.
- It has 4 Thunderbolt ports and an HDMI 2.0 port that enables supporting 2 displays simultaneously.
The hardware included in the Mac Mini is the same as the iMac 24-inch, minus the built-in display, so you can imagine how smooth and fast video editing would be. However, you cannot add an external GPU to this device, which would have been an added plus where video editing is concerned.
But with the combined power of M1 and macOS Big Sur, the performance of the Mac Mini is more than what we expect out of something this compact.
So, if you’re looking for the best mac for video editing at a relatively affordable price, Mac Mini it is!
7. MacBook Pro 13-Inch
Although the MacBook Pro 13-inch came out in 2020, it is still considered one of the best Macs for video editing!
Don’t let the small 13-inch screen fool you! This is the best portable laptop there is for professional-level video editing.
- It supports the P3 color gamut, which makes it an ideal choice for users looking for high-end video quality.
- It comes with the new M1 chip that makes 4k and even 8k editing a breeze.
- To endure so many powerful features, the battery life has also significantly improved.
Therefore, whether you’re working in your studio or on the go, the MacBook Pro 13-inch is the perfect video editing laptop for you.
8. iMac Pro
If you’re looking for a mighty Mac for video editing with superior graphics, we would hands-down recommend the iMac Pro.
Although it is refurbished, it still is considered a high-end all-in-one option for prizewinning video editing.
- It boasts the same slim and stylish design as other Macs; however, the hardware is far more powerful than the rest.
- The basic iMac Pro comes with an 8-core Intel Xeon processor, but you can take it up to 18-core if you have the budget.
- It has 1TB to 4TB of SSD internal storage, which means you won’t require an external hard drive.
- Unlike other iMacs, it has four Thunderbolt 3.0 ports and a 10GB Ethernet port.
The iMac Pro is a mighty PC for video editing, but it is super expensive; that’s why we recommend it solely for professional usage. But if money is not an issue, you can use it for all sorts of video editing.
Choosing the best mac for video editing is not all that difficult. However, for the best results, you should consider your video editing requirements to know what you’re looking for!
To sum it up:
- If you’re looking for advanced performance, get the Mac Pro.
- For the best all-in-one Mac, go for iMac 24-inch with Retina Display.
- Editing videos on the go? MacBook Air it is!
- For flawless 4k video editing, MacBook Pro is the best.
- If your work revolves around complex video editing tasks, the iMac 27-inch is a good choice.
- Looking for a budget-friendly video editing option? Buy the Mac Mini.
- Something with 4k editing plus long-lasting battery, hands-down MacBook Pro 13-inch!
- And lastly, if you need an uber-powerful PC with excellent graphics, iMac Pro is the best option.
Depending on your needs and, of course, your budget, you can get the best Mac for video editing with the help of this guide.
So, get ready and get editing!